Printable Playlist

Want a new feature? Make something easier to use/do? Post your message here.
vbds
Operating System: Windows 7

Printable Playlist

Post by vbds » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:00 pm

BallroomDJ dynamically creates a playlist(s) that can be used to "DJ" for an evening of Ballroom dancing.
However, it is normal for us to provide a printout for each table. This printout lists the dances and the song for that dance that will be played for the evening.
This allows dancers to decide that dance they wish to dance or rest and who to dance with, and it gives them a list of song names as well.
Some dancers collect these lists so they know what songs are what dances.
I see many problems using dynamic playlists at our Saturday dances because we need this printout!.
What would be needed to add to Ballroom DJ is something like a option to "Export the complete set of selected playlists".
Here' how I would see it:
A evening dance list would be created prior to the dance using ballroomDJ to dynamically select the songs using all the criteria of each playlist by instead of hitting "START" you would hit(or choose) "EXPORT" them to a single "MANUAL" playlist.
Latter that night, or next day when the dancing is about to start, you simply select this "manual" playlist and then hit "START"
Prior to the dance, the manual playlist file xxx.mlist can be used to create a printout of the songs ballroomDJ has selected.
Having this manual playlist and printout of each night of dancing gives us other extra features as well, for example, persons rating/needed volume adj/needed tempo adj of songs for the evening, also assist a person trying to remember what a song name was of the rumba that play around 9:45pm? plus more....
We will use BallroomDJ for many kinds of "dances" where this is not needed, but for our Saturday dances, we would really like this.

bll
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux

Re: Printable Playlist

Post by bll » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:52 pm

This should be doable as two parts:
- an export function (with time limit) in the player to build a manual playlist.
- an export function for manual playlists to create an html (or csv) file.

vbds

Post by vbds » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:01 pm

I think these two new optons would be super!
The html vs csv, personal I think csv -spreadsheet/word programs are easier to edit a simple list as compared to a html editor. Then we can change and add all kinds of things to it, even I could not have imagined all the things that get put on the playlist sheet!!

Thanks

vbds

Post by vbds » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:44 pm

I now realize that I asked for a print out of a manual playlist but that is a bit different than what I would need, I would need the actual processing result of a queue of playlists.
This is the only way I can think of to satisfy the capability to print out a full evening (queue list) of dancing??
"A evening dance list would be created prior to the dance using ballroomDJ to . . . . by instead of hitting "START" you would hit(or choose) "EXPORT" ...
So what I was asking for was to export the complete queue.
I am sorry now that I used the word manual playlist because it would have to be a queue list that has fully ran choosing all the songs and storing them in a file. I was hoping that the final result could simply be stored in a manual playlist??? but I see you have raised some good points?

But how else can I can have a printout of what it is going to play for the entire evening.

I can see how much more difficult this is and know that is is a lot more work, but I also hope you can understand my request for wanting it?

Please consider this, if not now, maybe latter?

bll
Site Admin

Post by bll » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:58 pm

I think your original statement of
"EXPORT" them to a single "MANUAL" playlist.
is the only way to do this.
  • - During export, process the playlist queue and create a new manual playlist
    - Create a new playlist based on the exported manual playlist.
    - Print the dances/songs from the exported manual playlist.
    - Use the new playlist (which is now a manual playlist) for the evening.
It loses some of the flexibility of the original playlist queue, but it does give you a list of what's going to be played.

You can still use the exported manual playlist in conjunction with other playlists. e.g.
  • - Create three new playlists from the exported manual playlist.
    • - One is "From Start", stop in half an hour.
      - Two is "Resume From Last", stop in an hour.
      - Three is "Resume From Last"
    - Queue #1, the "From Start", "stop in 1/2 hour" manual playlist.
    - Queue a waltz mixer (automated)
    - Queue #2, the "Resume From Last", stop in an hour
    - Queue a showcase mix
    - Queue #3, the "Resume From Last"
It would be hard to tell exactly where the "stop in" breaks are in the manual playlist, but it would work.

vbds

Post by vbds » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:07 pm

YES I think that has it.
Yes I see how that would work just fine!!
It may lose some of the flexibility of the queue but your idea of creating new playlists from it will work wonders- because we have a MASTER list of all songs that will be played that evening.
Your example is spot on!!
Excellent!
Can't wait to test it!
Thanks again.
Last edited by vbds on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

bll
Site Admin

Post by bll » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:18 pm

Instead of "stop in 1/2 hour", it might be better to use "stop after 10 songs". That way it's easy to add to the print out where the breaks are.

vbds

Post by vbds » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:14 pm

bll wrote:This should be doable as two parts:
- an export function (with time limit) in the player to build a manual playlist.
- an export function for manual playlists to create an html (or csv) file.
The second option to export the manual playlist - I hope you see this as a separate option on the manual playlist screen. As a separate option we will be able to "tweak" the manual playlist and then export it. We can do it multiple times till we get it Right!.

Some of the "tweaks" I have in mind would be to add a song for a Waltz Mixer - to the manual playlist, and put it where I want it.
I could also have recorded announcement of "And now to get everyone up and mix it up a bit, a waltz mixer will be played... everyone up.....{some silence to wait}". I would insert this just in front of the waltz mixer song and this song title is called "Waltz Mixer".
In the exported csv file I can further tweak the list and change/format/remove the title of that "announcement" song
In this way the print out for the evening can also show everyone where the mixers are.
We also use "announcement" songs to announce other special events or even a song like the paso where we need extra time for the dancers to take the floor and get ready as paso is usually done as a performance/choreographed dance in our club.
Combining the above and all the capability you have already built in at play time, would give me ultimate flexability & "reportability" !!