Voume adjust tweak

Want a new feature? Make something easier to use/do? Post your message here.
vbds
Operating System: Windows 7

Voume adjust tweak

Post by vbds » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:45 pm

A DJ would adjust the volume during playback. If he wanted to save this setting to the songs volume adjustment, he would they would use your "edit" to change the volume Adjustment for the song to what they just set during playback.

However,
The "edit" does not reflect changes made in the Player prior to hitting "Edit"
The player does not reflect any changes when returning from "edit".

And the volume scales are not the same:
The music editor "normal" is the center of the line, with -20 on left and +20 on right.
The Player has from 0% to 100%, defaulted to 100%

Can you look at making the Volume adjust in the Music Editor the same scale as compared to the volume adjust in the player.

Also, on the player, it would be nice to be able to increase the volume above 100%.
For the Player it would still be nice to have the 0% volume.

My suggestion would be to have both scales as:
0% ---- 100% -------200%

I'm not asking for you to keep them in sync, just have the same scale on both so a person can switch back and forth between the two and set them manually?
If keeping them in sync is easier, then do that.
I will let you think about how you show a 5% increase on the song volume during playback?
Maybe show it as 105%?
or as 100% (+5%)

What do you think?

bll
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux

Re: Voume adjust tweak

Post by bll » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:09 am

Some DJs have to move from location to location and don't have the luxury of being able to have a fixed volume setting. These settings are better off staying as relative volume changes.

I can't increase the volume beyond the computer's maximum.

vbds
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by vbds » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:30 pm

bll wrote:I can't increase the volume beyond the computer's maximum.
Maybe I misunderstood the volume control on the player, or just used the wrong words to describe this.

The Volume adjust on the song affects the volume the song is played at-right?

If the song's volume adjust is +20 the volume gets apparently increased beyond the computer's maximum volume. I think this is because VLC is increasing it's out put to the computers sound card??
Therefore I think, song's volume adjust = the VLC's sound control NOT the computer's volume.
VLC sound volume control does NOT equal the computers volume control.
I can play a song at 50% sound volume on the computer but still change the VLC sound level from 0% to 200% without changing the computers sound volume.
No matter what the VLC sound level is at, changing the computers sound volume still changes the overall volume, but does not change the VLC sound volume.
(thats how it works on my system at least?)

So, I guess what I am asking for is to reflect the song's volume adjustment after it is edited from the "EDIT" menu of the player????
(I still think the song's volume adjustment could = VLC sound volume and therefore be 0% - 200%)

I would like this because of the things I said in the first reply.
I cannot test this anymore because in the latest version of ballroomDJ "edit" and "Edit previous" from the Player no longer work.

(This is not high priority - just a suggestion- nice to have )

bll
Site Admin

Post by bll » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:05 pm

No, if the volume is at 81 and above, the +20 will only increase it to 100.
My volume control is tied to the computer's master volume, not VLC's.

If you try VLC's volume control over 100, you'll find that the sound is very distorted. They change the volume in software and it sounds really bad.

Also, when you change the computer volume, my program doesn't know about the change, and the volume change is not reflected in the BallroomDJ volume slider. I have not found any command line utility that will let me read the current volume.

bll
Site Admin

Post by bll » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:31 pm

Sorry about edit and edit previous not working
An error check didn't work right, and stopped everything.